08/04/2009 10:50 AM
Cape Cod Baseball League Playoff Procedure
Fields with lights, 7:00 P.M. start, curfew suspended
Fields without lights, 3:00 P.M. start
I.FIRST ROUND: Six teams
• Top two teams in each division qualify; top team in each division gets a first round bye
• Next two teams with highest point total, regardless of division, qualify; in the case of a tie, the following applies:
• If tied teams are from different divisions, the team from the division that won the All-Star Game advances. If they are from the same division, then:
• record vs each other – if same, then
• record vs divisional opponents – if same, then
• record vs other teams in either division with higher point total – if same, then
• flip a coin
• Team #3 in points hosts Team #6, and Team #4 hosts Team #5 in a one-game first round playoff.
• Home teams are second place finishers in regular season standings in each division.
II. SECOND ROUND: Four teams
• First round winners and top team in each division seeded according to point total
• Top seeded team plays lowest seeded team, and second seeded team plays third seeded team in traditional 2 out of 3 series
• Home teams are division regular season winners.
III. CHAMPIONSHIP: Two teams
• To begin the day immediately following the finish of the longest second round playoff series
• Between second round series winners
• Hosting duties alternate each game
• Top point-getter gains home field advantage (odd-numbered games)
• Tie in points for championship home field advantage reverts to the team from the division that won the All-Star game. If the All-Star game was cancelled or ended in a tie, the home field advantage reverts to tie-breakers listed in Section I, first round, above.
Brian Doyle, Web site Editor (Doyle@capecodbaseball.org)
John Garner, Jr.
Director of Public Relations & Broadcasting