for immediate release: 18 March, 2003
Cape League Invitation-Only Tryout
May 28, 2003
WAREHAM -- The Cape Cod Baseball League will conduct its Annual Invitational Tryout on behalf of all 10 Cape League teams, on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at Clem Spillane Field, Wareham. Directions to the field may be found at www.gatemen.org.
The tryout will be held under the direction of Harvard Baseball Coach Joe Walsh and other CCBL coaches and representatives. Wareham Gatemen General Manager, John Wylde, will handle organization and administration of the tryout. Mr. Wylde may be reached at (508) 295-3956). Please direct all telephone calls concerning any aspect of the tryout process to Mr. Wylde.
The following procedures/guidelines should be carefully noted:
(1) The CCBL tryout is by invitation only. College coaching staffs' input is crucial in deciding which players invited to the tryout will be selected for temporary positions. CCBL invitations are issued with the intention of balancing positions.
The league will contact each player who is being invited. Players who have not been contacted have not been invited.
The league will extend invitations to approximately 75 players. Representatives will attend from all CCBL teams.
(2) The tryout schedule is as follows:
9:30 a.m. - Registration at Spillane Field
10:30 a.m. - Extended infield/outfield drill
11:30 a.m. - Players split into teams for a multi-inning scrimmage
(3) Players should come dressed in uniform - toilet facilities will be available
(4) An athletic trainer will be in attendance.
(5) Rain Date: Thursday, May 29 - same schedule times as listed above
The deadline to pre-register for the tryout is Friday, May 9. Clem Spillane Field is located on Route 6 in downtown Wareham, behind Wareham Town Hall and adjacent to Wareham Middle School and Wareham High School.
Sean Walsh / John Wylde