For the second year in a row, a Cape League alum went first overall in the MLB Draft when the Baltimore Orioles selected former Falmouth Commodore catcher Adley Rutschman out of Oregon State University.
Rutschmann was the first of 14 Cape League alumni picked in the first round. Three of the top four picks played on the Cape, with Wareham alum Andrew Vaughn going third to the White Sox and former Orleans outfielder JJ Bleday going fourth to the Marlins.
Former Chatham Anglers’ catcher Shea Langeliers went ninth to the Atlanta Braves followed by former Brewster Whitecap Hunter Bishop getting selected tenth by the San Francisco Giants. This was the second consecutive draft where the Cape League produced at least five top-10 picks, with six alumni going in the first ten picks last year.
The Cape League continued to be the top pipeline for first-round collegiate talent, with 14 of the 19 college players picked in the first round having spent time on the Cape.
The Cape League has provided at least 200 draft picks for the last 11 years. The MLB Draft continues June 4 and 5 going 40 rounds.
CAPE LEAGUE ALUMNI DRAFTED IN THE FIRST ROUND
1. Baltimore Orioles: Adley Rutschman, C, Falmouth Commodores/Oregon State
3. Chicago White Sox: Andrew Vaughn, 1B, Wareham Gatemen/Cal
4. Miami Marlins: JJ Bleday, OF, Orleans Firebirds/Vanderbilt
9. Atlanta Braves: Shea Langeliers, C, Chatham Anglers/Baylor
10. San Francisco Giants: Hunter Bishop, OF, Brewster Whitecaps/Arizona State
11. Toronto Blue Jays: Alek Manoah, RHP, Chatham Anglers/West Virginia
14. Philadelphia Phillies: Bryson Stott, SS, Wareham Gatemen/UNLV
19. St. Louis Cardinals: Zach Thompson, LHP, Brewster Whitecaps/Kentucky
20. Seattle Mariners: George Kirby, RHP, Harwich Mariners/Elon
22. Tampa Bay Rays: Greg Jones, SS, Chatham Anglers/UNC-Wilmington
23. Colorado Rockies: Michael Toglia, 1B/OF, Cotuit Kettleers/UCLA
28. Milwaukee Brewers: Ethan Small, LHP, Wareham Gatemen/Mississippi State
29. Oakland A’s: Logan Davidson, SS, Falmouth Commodores/Clemson
30. Los Angeles Dodgers: Michael Busch, IF, Chatham Anglers/North Carolina